This list of resources can help communities and homelessness services systems prepare for, respond to, and recover from disasters during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- COVID-19 Pandemic Operational Guidance for the 2021 Disaster Season (FEMA): This provides guidance to help emergency managers and public health officials best prepare for disasters, while continuing to respond to and recover from COVID-19.
- Find Your State Emergency Management Agency
- Natural Disasters and COVID-19: Resources for Professionals and Emergency Workers (CDC): This provides guidance and resources for public health professionals, health care workers, and emergency responders.
- Webinar Recording: 2020 Hurricane Season During COVID-19 (CDC): This discusses possible health risks that could come from hurricanes combined with COVID-19; hurricane planning while adhering to guidance on social distancing; and how providers can effectively communicate messages to affected residents.
- National Ma s s Care Strategy (FEMA, American Red Cross): This provides resources related to immediate emergency response, including, shelter, food and supply distribution, family reunification, health care, and information access. Updated resources include general guidelines for making congregate and non-congregate sheltering decisions in a COVID-19 environment.
- Disaster Preparedness to Promote Community Resilience: Information and Tools for Homeless Service Providers and Disaster Professionals (VA, HHS, HUD): This provides guidance for identifying and collaborating with partners to address disaster response and recovery needs, and it outlines strategies to prepare and minimize service disruption.
- Disaster Response for Homeless Individuals and Families: A Trauma-Informed Approach (HHS): This discusses considerations for disaster preparedness with people with past histories of trauma.
- Disaster Recovery Homelessness Toolkit (HUD): This helps communities address the needs of people experiencing homelessness and other vulnerable populations through comprehensive disaster planning, response and recovery, and long-term recovery.
- National Center for Homeless Education Disaster Preparation and Response Resources: This includes tools to help school districts implement the McKinney-Vento Act fully, so they can address the needs of children and youth experiencing homelessness on a daily basis and in times of disaster.