Step-by-Step Election Guide for Homeless Service Providers
December 31, 2021
Step 1: GET INFORMED ☐
- Learn about your client’s voting rights in each state.
- Contact your state or local election office to confirm this information.
- Review this voting rights toolkit for homeless service providers.
Step 2: MAKE A PLAN ☐
- Follow “The 3 Steps to Supporting Your Clients’ Right to Vote” and these tips for developing a plan.
- Prepare to engage non-English speakers with this glossary of election terminology, which is available in 21 languages.
- Use these “4 Tips for Reducing Your Staff’s Workload” to ensure sustainability for this effort.
Step 3: REGISTER ☐
- Follow ”The Do’s and Don’ts of Registering Your Clients to Vote.”
- For non-English speakers, the National Mail Voter Registration Form is available in 21 languages.
Step 4: EDUCATE ☐
- Use these ideas to inform your clients about key issues like housing, health care, and homelessness.
Step 5: GET OUT THE VOTE ☐
- Encourage your clients to vote and remove obstacles in their way. Here’s how.
Sources: Election Assistance Commission, National Alliance to End Homelessness, National Coalition for the Homeless