How Mayors Can End Homelessness
Last updated on September 12, 2022
Step 1: Get (and Stay) Informed
- Read USICH’s 7 Principles for Addressing Encampments and Resource Roundup for Addressing Encampments.
- Sign up for the USICH newsletter.
- Follow USICH on Twitter, LinkedIn, and Facebook.
Step 2: Take Action
- Reach out to your state’s USICH Regional Advisor.
- Join the House America initiative.
- Help USICH implement the federal strategic plan when it comes out.
The U.S. Interagency Council on Homelessness is the only federal agency solely dedicated to solving homelessness. We have the collective power of 19 federal agencies that make up the USICH Council. It is led by Executive Director Jeff Olivet, Council Chair and VA Secretary Denis McDonough, and Vice Chair and HHS Secretary Xavier Becerra.
How USICH Helps
- Supports Communities
- Coordinates Partnerships
- Drives Effective Use of Resources & Best Practices
- Recommends Policy Solutions
- Implements Federal Strategic Plan
According to stakeholders, without USICH, “the sense of a shared vision would weaken, as would the momentum to tackle the difficult work ahead.” In the decade since we released our first federal strategic plan, homelessness had dropped roughly 10% overall, 50% among veterans, and 30% among families.
Solutions to Homelessness
- Housing & Support
- Crisis Response
- Data & Evidence