10 Strategies to Reduce Homelessness With the American Rescue Plan
House America: An All-Hands-On-Deck Effort to Address the Nation's Homelessness Crisis
This new guidance, which is available below as a PDF, is intended to help leaders at all levels of government to leverage the housing resources in the American Rescue Plan—primarily the Emergency Housing Voucher (EHV) and HOME Investment Partnerships (HOME-ARP) funds—as well as other federal, state, and local resources to reduce homelessness.
It is published as part of the House America initiative, which provides communities with the focus, resolve, and technical know-how needed to maximize the impact of the American Rescue Plan. Through House America, HUD and USICH are inviting state, local, and tribal leaders to join a national partnership to use this historic investment to address the homelessness crisis through a Housing First approach.
The guidance details the following 10 strategies:
Lay the Groundwork
1. Set Community-Specific Goals
2. Cultivate Political Will and Partnerships
3. Ensure Racial Equity in All Decision-Making
4. Reduce Administrative and Regulatory Barriers
Strengthen the Rehousing System
5. Reduce Waiting Periods for Housing Placements
6. Guarantee Paths to Housing From Unsheltered Homelessness
7. Recruit, Support, and Retain Landlords
8. Leverage Support Services
Expand the Affordable Housing Supply
9. Support Innovation in Development
10. Coordinate Federal, State, and Local Housing Resources
For more COVID guidance and resources, click here.